Thursday, September 17, 2009

Yamcakes...Oh how I've missed you!

Meal 5 (8:30 pm)- shake (Myoplex & Betagen) + 12 unsalted almonds
Meal 4 (5:30 pm)- Huge salad w/heaping 1/2 cup edamame & fresh grated parmesan cheese + 2 tbsp. Newman's Own light vinagrette


Meal 3 (3 pm)- Leftover vegetarian lasagna w/parmesan cheese..Nope still not sick of it :) + 1 serving EAS Betagen
Meal 2 (12:15....immediately after run)- Myoplex RTD
(INSERT 5 mile run in the wind with hills HERE)


Meal 1 (8:30 am)- Yamcakes w/sugar free syrup + 1 serving EAS Betagen & 1 1/2 tsp. Glutamine + mutlivitamin & 2 glucosamine/MSM See... just like regular pancakes! My mouth is watering!!!
Measure batter using 1/4 measuring cup. Flip when edges firm up and yamcakes start bubbling. Yamcake batter Mash the sweet potato with a large serving fork and add the other ingredients. Only 4 ingredients!


I mentioned yesterday how excited I was to have more vanilla whey protein. It is probably THE MOST versatile thing you can use to incorporate protein into your diet, because you can add so many different flavors to it, and it is mixes so well into all type of concoctions. A while back I learned this recipe from a friend of mine at EAS, and I just couldn't wait to share it with you today, as it's one of MY FAVORITE recipes and packs a mean punch of protein & carbs (really a perfect post workout meal in my opinion as it's higher in protein and carbs)....but it can be an anytime of the day meal for the on-the-go too. So, I will get right down to business and post pics with the recipe and nutritionals. Try them, and I can pretty much guarantee you will be hooked! Oh how I've missed my yamcakes, and I am so happy they have made a comeback in my kitchen!



Recipe:
-1/2 sweet potato/yam cooked well (I just nuke mine till its mushy...skin should peel right off of flesh)
-1 scoop vanilla whey protein
-1/2 cup egg whites
-cinnamon

Cook a medium/large'ish size sweet potato in the microwave until it's soft to the touch. Cut in half and mash flesh of 1/2 (minus skin) in a mixing bowl. Add vanilla whey, egg whites, and cinnamon. Wisk together into a batter (might seem thin, but don't fret!). Cook as you would normal pancakes on med/low heat using non-stick cooking spray. I use a 1/4 cup measuring cup and it makes about 4 pancakes total. Drizzle with sugar free syrup and you are golden! ** To make this recipe even more perfectly balanced as a post workout meal, throw in a couple tbsp. of all natural apple sauce to add some faster digesting carbs to the mix (I was out of applesauce today, but feel free to add it if you want.) Makes 1 serving (4 pancakes).

This meal has enough nutrition for a man, but I eat all 4 pancakes myself. It's easy to double up or quadruple and make for the whole family, or cook them in bulk to take in ziploc bags on the run.

Nutrition Facts: (This includes roughly 1/8 cup or 2 tbsp. sugar free syrup on top)
Calories: 323
Protein: 37 g
Carbs: 40 g
Fat: 2 g

4 comments:

  1. Ok - I am going to have to brave these and give them a whirl tomorrow :). Printing the recipe out now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OOO I can't wait to try this! Thank you for sharing!!! I may pass it along to my fitness friends too if you don't mind!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those pancakes look great! Thanks for including the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This recipe looks delicious. I can't wait to try it this weekend.

    ReplyDelete