Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Who Says You Have to Eat Eggs for Breakfast?

Started off the day with an unconventional post-workout meal. Was craving Triscuits like crazy and had fat free ricotta cheese with no plans for it, so broiled up some mini spinach and cheese bruschetta melts (I guess that's what I'll call them!)
Meal 1 (8 am)- Yes I ate this at 8 am and it was DELICIOUS!

10 reduced fat triscuits each topped with fresh spinach leaves+ 1 tbsp. fat free ricotta cheese (first ingredient is whey so figured it would be good post workout) + McCormick garlic & basil seasoning, salt & pepper + slice of roma tomato + sprinkle parmesan cheese (broiled for 5 min. in toaster oven)+ 1 serving EAS Betagen & 1/2 tsp. Glutamine + multivitamin & 2 glucosamine/MSM
Felt kind of funky about buying fake meat in the sliced form, but wanted to give it a go. On the plus side, these products don't contain any nitrates or nitrates, like most deli meats....so that's a plus.


Meal 2 (11 am)- La Tortilla Factory tomato basil tortilla + spinach, cucumbers, tomatoes, red onions + Smart Deli vegetarian roast style turkey

Couldn't wait to try this! It looked so interesting and yummy!
Meal 3 (2 pm)- Organic wild rice tempeh sauteed in evoo & low sodium soy sauce (YUMMMM!!!)+ 1/2 plate of steamed broccoli w/20 sprays fat free parkay butter spray
+ ! serving EAS Betagen
Impromptu snack (3:30 pm)- 2 tbsp. Newman's Own light vinagrette dressing + heaping cup broccoli & sliced cucumbers

I am sure now that soy products just don't give the same satiety factor as grilled chicken. Edamame seems to keep me full, but the tempeh didn't hold me over 3 hours whatsoever...too bad I rather like it!

Meal 4 (5:30 pm)- Breakfast for dinner! 3/4 cup egg whites w/spinach, mushroom, onions & peppers + 1/4 cup (dry) oatmeal + 1/4 cup fresh blueberries

Meal 5 (8:15 pm)- Myoplex Lite vanilla protein shake w/1 serving EAS Betagen & 1 1/2 tsp. Glutamine
Today was a great day for eating! Yesterday's meals about bored me senseless, so I made it a point to try a couple new things today. After my run this morning, I was craving salty food for some reason and was NOT in the mood for breakfast food at all. Who says you have to eat eggs for breakfast anyways? I've been liking them for dinner lately, and there are no rules on times for eating certain things. I know people who eat fish for breakfast, and I'm not talking about smoked salmon either...not even joking. Now THAT is a meatatarian! I really enjoyed the new stuff, but I didn't realize that the tempeh was ALSO made of soy. It seems that almost everything with anything of any sort of high protein content that is a vegetarian product is made of soy! I don't really like the thought of eating SO much of one thing when it comes to anything, but it's slim pickings when you are trying to get enough protein (without tons of carbs attached) as a vegetarian. It is definitely challenging. I managed to stay exactly on track with eating, even with the vegetarian products today, although I don't see myself eating this much soy over the long term....too many unknowns with regards to what it "does" or "doesn't do". This is an experiment after all though, so if it helps me to try different things I wouldn't normally try, then I'll just enjoy the experience! I really do LOVE the tempeh, which I would have never tried before!

1 comment:

  1. You're definitely getting experimental with vegetarian foods! Your triscuit bruschetta looks delicious! how did you like the tempeh? I keep reading mixed reviews on it. I'm hesitant about the soy, because after listening to Jillian Michaels' podcasts and reading her books I'm afraid of what it does to your estrogen levels. I already gain weight easily in my belly - I don't need bigger thighs! :) Just some "food for thought."

    ReplyDelete