Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Biggest Loser and a Salad

Tonight's Biggest Loser episode has so far been my favorite episode. The contestants about lost their marbles when they were told that the refrigerator would be chained shut and that they would have to order out for all of their meals. They also took a trip to a Mexican restaurant and had to get creative to order food that was still authorized. It's neat to watch so many people have a lightbulb moment all at once! I was laughing to myself, because it made me feel better about being so specific when eating out. Because most places do not list their nutrition facts on the menu's (someday they will be required to do it, and I will be very happy when the happens), using keys words to recognize unhealthy items and to also give the order to the waistaff that way you really want it is a learned skill for sure. No, it's not always the easiest to do. Usually I know that I can ALWAYS order a grilled chicken salad or some sort of lean meat and vegetables...however, last Friday night was my first experience trying to get creative in a sports bar where the menu is only 1/2 of one page on one side of a menu and where the drink menu is longer than the food menu. It's definitely necessary to get more creative as a vegetarian and options are much more limited when trying to order out healthfully. I could have ordered a garden salad for dinner last Friday night, but when you have an appetite like mine, a garden salad made with iceberg lettuce along simply won't do.

I think it would be REALLY awesome if they had a vegetarian on the Biggest Loser....I don't think they've had one...really curious what they'd have that person eating. I've done pretty well so far for such a novice at this as far as making sure I still get enough protein (around 110-120 g per day). It's not always easy, but I am getting it in any way that I can. It does take more effort, but it IS possible to do Body for LIFE as a vegetarian...I know that for sure now that I'm doing it myself.

Speaking of which...back to eating my protein packed salad and watching Biggest Loser:-D...

Pre-Workout (5:15 am)- EAS Catapult

Meal 1 (7:45 am)- Chocolate Protein Banana Nut protein oatmeal - 1/2 cup (dry measured) quick oats + 1 scoop EAS chocolate whey protein + 1 packet Sun Crystals + 1/4 cup diced banana + 1 tbsp. silced almonds + multivitamin & 2 glucosamine/MSM

Are you all getting sick of seeing my flatbread pizzas yet?....cause I'm not getting sick of eating them...I put enough veggies on this tortilla to make a huge salad!

Meal 2( 10:45 am)- La Tortilla Factory whole wheat tortilla + 2 large handfuls fresh spinach + zuccini + lots of fresh asparagus + red onions + 1/4 cup reduced fat feta cheese crumbles (I am having a hard time finding fat FREE feta forever now!) + 1 tbsp. grated reduced fat parmesan cheese, salt & pepper + evoo mist
Meal 3( 1 pm)- 3/4 cup fat free cottage cheese + 1/2 cup diced fresh strawberriesRealized I still had some veggie products I haven't tried...Morningstar Farms Chik'n Grillers...worth a try...going to make some open faced Chick'n Melts!
This is what they look like cooked and cut in half to top off 2 Wasa crackers...

Meal 4 (4:15 pm)- 2 Wasa light rye crispbreads + yellow mustard + spinach + Chick'n pattie + 1 slice Jarlsberg Lite swiss cheese + sauteed red peppers & onions + sliced roma tomato

These were AWESOME! Tasted just like a grilled chicken sandwich or turkey burger...yum! Highly reccommend these!
I think this humongous spinach salad put me at about 10 servings of vegetables today...seriously..losts of veggies...

Meal 5 (7:30 pm)= Huge spinach salad + roma tomato, shredded carrots, red pepper, 1/2 heaping cup edamame + 1/4 cup fat free cottage cheese + 1 tbsp. Newman's Own light vinagrette

So far edamame (soybeans in a completely unprocessed form) is the only thing that comes close to making me feel as good as things like salmon, mahi mahi, and ahi tuna...hard to explain...almost like a high when I eat those types of seafood ...edamame is a close second!

Gret day of eating today in my opinion:-D

2 comments:

  1. Interesting. They have not had a vegetarian on TBL. Have they had anyone with unusual diet restrictions -- gluten free, lactose intolerant, etc.? I wonder if they don't pick such people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not sure and it never crossed my mind until now...I'm going to take a wild guess and say that anyone who is overweight enough to be on the Biggest Loser is most likely that way from a diet extremely high in saturated fats from animal products, processed foods, and sugary foods. I can't say I've ever met an obese vegetarian, although I'm sure they exist somewhere. I think it is quite possible to gain weight eating vegetarian foods, especially for someone who is used to eating less fats in their protein sources and less carbs all around. In the same token, I'm sure if someone who is overweight and eating fast food everyday went vegetarian, they would lose weight....I think it all depends on the current level of fitness and current diet of the person....this has defnitely made me think about things differently in regards to different types of meal plans though!

    ReplyDelete